I’ve just had an interesting question from a user who is looking to upgrade from the free version of Time Clock MTS to a one client commercial version. The user currently has the admin version of Time Clock MTS installed on a PC where his employees clock in and out and is also where he runs reports and configures the software. In his new setup he wants to use this computer as a client (for clock-in and clock-outs only) and use his own computer to administer the software. So there’s a little bit of work required to set this up and still keep the data from the free version. Let’s take at what needs to be done to share his data file and setup Time Clock MTS in the configuration he wants.
1. Prepare a location on your file server where your database will reside. Make sure that all computers that are going to connect to that database have full read/write permissions on the folder where the database is going to be stored.
2. Log into the admin software on the computer that will become the client and go to the Tools->Options->System Options page and move the database to your server by clicking the Move button.
3. Uninstall the admin software on the computer that will become the client
4. Install the Time Clock MTS client software (which can be downloaded from here) on the computer, you’ll find that it will connect automatically to your database you moved to your server. If it doesn’t just go through the first run wizard and you can connect to it that way.
5. Download and install the admin software on the computer that you want to become the administrator. Go through the process of entering a password and so on. Don’t worry too much, you’re not going to use the database created when you install the admin software on this computer.
6. Log into the newly installed admin software as the administrator and go to the Tools->Options->System Options page and connect to the database on your server using the Change button.
That’s all there is too it, a useful process to know if you’re looking to move your administrator software to a new computer!