March 12, 2012
How to Move Time Clock MTS to a New Computer
Probably one of the most common questions I get asked is how to relocate Time Clock MTS to a new computer. This might be because a computer is being upgraded or perhaps because a computer has failed (or even been stolen). There's some information you need to collect before you undertake this process.
- Determine where your employee time clock database is. By default this is on the same computer that Time Clock MTS and is here: C:\Program Data\Time Clock MTS\Database\timeclock.mdb. If your old computer is running Windows XP then the file is here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Time Clock MTS\Database\timeclock.mdb. In either case you'll need to Show Hidden Files and Folders to see the folder where your database is.
- You may have moved the database to your network in which case you will need to locate the file using the System Options screen.
- If you were using MySQL or SQL Server as a backend database then note down the database connection details on the System Options screen.
- You'll need your Time Clock MTS registration code. This was emailed to you when you purchased Time Clock MTS or can be retrieved using our Registration Recovery page.
- You'll need a copy of the Time Clock MTS installation file. This can be downloaded from our website or you may have made a copy of the installation file when you purchased the software.
Once you've gathered all that information here's the steps you need to go through to move Time Clock MTS to a new computer.
- Install Time Clock MTS on the new computer using the installation files.
- Run Time Clock MTS on the new computer and register it with your registration codes using the Help->Registration Details screen. Note that if you purchased Time Clock MTS prior to November 2012 your registration codes will not work with the software on our website and you'll need to purchase an upgrade to the latest version. Contact us for upgrade pricing information.
- If your old Time Clock MTS database location was on your old computer in the default location then go to step 4. If your old Time Clock MTS database was on your network then go to step 5. If your old Time Clock MTS installation was using SQL Server or MySQL as a backend database go to step 6.
- Close down Time Clock MTS and copy the timeclock.mdb file from the old PC to the new PC into the folder c:\Program Data\Time Clock MTS\Database. Overwrite the file that is there. Re-start Time Clock MTS and you should see your old data. You're now finished moving Time Clock MTS to a new computer.
- Run Time Clock MTS on the new computer, log in as the administrator and go to the Tools->Options->System Options screen. Click the Change button and navigate to your Time Clock MTS database which is stored on your network. Click OK to save the change and you'll now see your old data. You're now finished moving Time Clock MTS to a new computer.
- Run Time Clock MTS on the new computer, log in as the administrator and go to the Tools->Options->System Options screen. Enter the SQL Server/MySQL database connection details and click the Test Connection button and confirm that the details are correct. Change the Database Type dropdown to the correct database type and click OK to confirm the change and you'll now see your old data. You're now finished moving Time Clock MTS to a new computer.
As always, if you have any problems please contact us for further help.
|Get the Free Trial Download 30 Day Free Trial||
From just $79 (US) for a single computer
And $114 (US) for two computers
Posted by mnemtsas at March 12, 2012 12:45 PM